"Baby Steps to Giant Strides" #2

10:30

Have I found it?!


So previously, I have described that my path in life feels like it hit a brick wall making me "stuck" and stopping at my current status. But then my motivation was on a roll and I just kept researching on jobs that I could possibly do, what are my hobbies, what short courses are out there?




Looks like I managed to find something. I remember planning to apply for Boots Operational Management Graduate Scheme, but I hesitated since I am not entirely sure whether I want to do it and in the end didn't apply *sigh*. From this point, I thought I could revise back what other jobs they had and also looking into all the other fashion/ retail store jobs. I manage to come across Merchandising & Buying.


For this job you need to have the knack for numbers and data alongside with an analytical mind, but at the same time you need to be able to deal with the business management side of things, such as store operations, floor sales, forecasting trends in both fashion trends and store sales. Your core drive for this is basically "What does the customers want? What does the company want?", and balance between the two.

However, there are differences between 'Merchandising' to 'Buying' and vice versa, even though they work alongside each other - like two sides of the same coin. I read descriptions and loads of things about the two and the main differences that I remember from the top of my head is that

Merchandising = More Data
Buyer = More Creativity

You see, at this point. I'm stuck again! Since words are different to actual experience.



What can I do? (Again!) Then I figured with this I can stick to my previous post's point 2! Short/ online courses. Luckily, I found MANY courses! They are quite expensive, around £500, give or take £100-200. Let's give it a good read before these short course deadlines!

Everybody is different! Rather than showing a step by step of what to do, I decided to just write about what is going on in my life step by step so far. I want you guys to know that there are many different ways and that the best way is obviously the internet but other than that it always comes down to what you have experienced in life. Such as, if you want to become a manga artist, you have to realise that you need to have the experience of having the knowledge of "manga".

Just talking to careers advisors could help. Even people you DON'T agree with all the time, could help. These people could annoy you to the point that you don't even want to talk to them, but if reasonable, it's not bad to listen to their perspective, and just accept their opinions. Only if, REASONABLE, that is. They could have the knowledge of something you don't. You could gain something from these people. At the end of the day, they have a different point of view that you may have never considered before. Kind of like listening into a debate on one of the opposing sides. It is also one of the quickest way to broaden your knowledge.

Always do it your way, but never limit yourself to one way.





We can see that my path seems to be moving on. But will it really go on with it? Or will I go back to square one? If you have been following me on instagram then you will know that I went on a course - which will be explained in my next Baby Steps to Giant Strides post!


How is everyone else doing? Younger ones should be in the middle of their finals or even finished! - so who's procrastinating?! Be sure to comment below and just rant if your stressed about exams or life in general!

You Might Also Like

11 comments

  1. I think the best way to decide something is to try it, it's impossible to know if it will suit you otherwise. I did something in uni and ended up disliking the job a lot so I don't do it anymore. People's paths change all the time, I still don't really know what I'm going to end up doing...

    { sparklesideup.com }

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually really agree with what you say but there are also a lot of limitations. Such as when I was younger, I wanted to be a manga artist but I had no idea, no guidance whatsoever as to what I could do. Sometimes, it's just not easy and not everyone can just try things. Especially when the world is improving nowadays like manga artists get a lot of online guidance now compared to absolutely nothing a good few years back. There are many people who gets their chances, but there are also those who doesn't get to have such a chance at all.


      Never limiting yourself to one choice is the best thing, like you said, trying things out. Rather than just randomly trying everything just for the sake of it, not giving up and always altering your decisions little by little so that you have a broader chance towards something you want to do is a much better idea. Doing something related to what you want to do, can help lead you on your path towards finding what you actually want to do. You could discover something you really like.

      It's not like you have to know what you want to really do, I don't really like the idea of entering a job related to my degree either since it's really boring and I'd probably hate it first off the bat considering i didn't even enjoy my degree that much. You'll eventually come across something you like and really want to do :) Have hope in the kawaii -ness of this world. :D

      Delete
  2. Wonderful post...I like your blog.^^
    Maybe follow each other on bloglovin?
    Let me know follow you then back.
    Lovely greets Nessa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for following me and your kind words on my blog. ^^
    Follow you back on bloglovin and gfc, too. Do you also follow me on gfc?
    Hope we keep in touch....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problems and thank for the follow back~! :) I also follow you on GFC! and I have commented on your blogpost just incase you don't see this! :)

      Love Nikki x

      Delete
  4. Hello Nicole,

    oh girl, I feel your pain.... As a recent graduate I am looking for job for two months now and it is very exhausting. Plus I am starting to feel very insecure... Good luck to both of us!

    Cannot wait to read more from you!

    Have a nice day,
    Zuzana

    http://allquietonthedreamerfront.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looking for a job and especially in something you are interested in is such a hard thing to do! I feel insecure about these things a lot but at the end of the day, it's true that timing is important! As long as we keep trying with effort, I am sure that when it's the right time - we will be rewarded!

      Thank you very much for reading and the anticipation!


      Love Nikki x

      Delete
  5. Great post! thanks for sharing:) Do you want to support each other's blog by following each other?:) Please let me know if you do so I can follow you right back x

    kisses

    http://www.theclosetelf.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! And sure! We can follow on each other! I will comment on your blog after I follow!

      Love Nikki x

      Delete
  6. Thx, for your lovely comment on my blog. ;-)
    Wish you a nice Friday...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting guys! If you have anything to say just comment away below! Hope you enjoyed your visit and be sure to follow me on either social media possible and come back again! ;) Further enquiries, contact me via e-mail nolifelifelife@gmail.com ! Be it collab, ads, sponsors or even just to keep in touch as friend, e-mail or comment as you like! :)